It’s smart thinking to have schools sign up to sustainability. It sets a good example, saves money and supports the environment.
Actsmart Schools is a specialised program that helps schools support sustainability. The ACT can be proud. It is the only state or territory across Australia to have all schools registered in the program.
So how does this FREE program help?
It supports schools so they can save energy, conserve water, increase recycling, protect biodiversity, cut greenhouse gas emissions and integrate sustainability into the curriculum.
Actsmart Schools provides a wide range of support, including best practice guides, audits, professional development advice, tools and resources. For more information, or to get your local school involved email email@example.com or call Actsmart Schools Officers on 6207 6430 or 6207 6317.
NEW COMPETITION! Check out the details below.
ACT public schools are aiming to achieve the ACT Government target of carbon neutrality by 2020.
Actsmart Schools helps schools support the government with this target. The program provides FREE support, practical tips, tools and and resources to help all schools sustainably manage their energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Schools Earth Hour | 24 March 2017
Enter the Actsmart Schools competition and you could win a gift pack, valued between $50-$1000 ... it's simple!
CLICK HERE for printable PDF competition poster.
- Create a social media post (Facebook or Twitter) or send photos and an explanation showing what your school did for School Earth Hour.
- Design a poster with a list of actions schools can take to reduce electricity use
- Write a poem about what your school did for School Earth Hour
Entries due: Friday 7 April
- Email entries to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to GPO Box 158, Canberra, ACT 2601.
- Prizes awarded for secondary and primary school entries
- Social media posts should tag @SustainableCBR and #JoinTheFuture
- All entries remain the property of ACT Government.
- The two winning posters will be printed and distributed to all ACT schools.
- Schools that enter must participate in Schools Earth Hour, Friday 24th March.
- Act with care when turning off electrical appliances and lights during Earth Hour.
- CLICK HERE for printable PDF Competition Information
For Earth Hour resources aligned to the Australian Curriculum, visit: www.earthhour.org.au
Did you know that up to 86 per cent of the waste a school produces can be recycled or reused? That’s a big figure.
Actsmart Schools helps schools establish sustainable waste and recycling systems by providing support and FREE services and resources, including an easy-to-use best practice guide with step-by-step instructions.
Schools use a lot of water. Students drink it. Cleaners use it. Maintenance people need it for irrigation. It all adds up.
That’s why it’s important for schools to think about how they can act smart by saving water.
Actsmart Schools can help. It has FREE support, practical tips, tools and resources to help schools with sustainable water management.
Actsmart Schools provides FREE resources to help schools manage their flora, fauna, soils and landscape design.
The aim is to protect plant and animal life, reduce energy and water consumption, while still managing and developing school grounds.
Educating and engaging young people in sustainability has never been more important. It empowers them to make decisions and act for a sustainable future. Sustainability is one of the three cross-curriculum priorities in the Australian Curriculum.
Actsmart Schools helps schools embed sustainability across the curriculum by providing FREE support and resources, including an easy-to-use best practice guide with step-by-step instructions.