It’s smart thinking to have schools sign up to sustainability. It sets a good example, saves money and supports the environment.
Actsmart Schools is a specialised program that helps schools support sustainability. The ACT can be proud. It is the only state or territory across Australia to have all schools registered in the program.
So how does this FREE program help?
It supports schools so they can save energy, conserve water, increase recycling, protect biodiversity, cut greenhouse gas emissions and integrate sustainability into the curriculum.
Actsmart Schools provides a wide range of support, including best practice guides, audits, professional development advice, tools and resources. For more information, or to get your local school involved email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Actsmart Schools Officers on 6207 6430 or 6207 6317.
Actsmart Schools offers a FREE whole-of-school approach to managing resources and facilities. It helps schools address the educational, social and economic issues associated with sustainable operations.
How does the program get schools to act smart? It provides support and/or training for schools to:
- develop an environmental management plan for the sustainable management of waste, water, energy and school grounds
- audit their water, waste and energy
- review their school grounds
- review their curriculum
- educate develop teachers, business managers, facilities managers and students to adopt sustainable practices.
The Actsmart Schools program also offers practical information and tools, including:
- Educating for sustainability through the ACT curriculum - curriculum units (P-Y10) on energy, water, waste, biodiversity and climate change (units are ACT specific, aligned to the ACT Curriculum Framework and complement the Australian Curriculum)
- Your operational guide to becoming a sustainable school - best practice guides on sustainably managing energy, water, waste, school grounds/biodiversity and integrating sustainability into the curriculum
- advice to teachers
- support for addressing staff meetings
- access to support programs
- access to a range of educational resources to raise awareness among staff and students.
For more information on how to access these and other resources, email email@example.com or call the Actsmart Schools Officers on 6207 6430 or 6207 6317.
The ACT Government has a bold target to achieve carbon neutrality in public schools by 2017.
Actsmart Schools helps schools support the government with this target. The program provides FREE support, practical tips, tools and and resources to help all schools sustainably manage their energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Did you know that up to 86 per cent of the waste a school produces can be recycled or reused? That’s a big figure.
Actsmart Schools helps schools establish sustainable waste and recycling systems by providing support and FREE services and resources, including an easy-to-use best practice guide with step-by-step instructions.
Schools use a lot of water. Students drink it. Cleaners use it. Maintenance people need it for irrigation. It all adds up.
That’s why it’s important for schools to think about how they can act smart by saving water.
Actsmart Schools can help. It has FREE support, practical tips, tools and resources to help schools with sustainable water management.
Actsmart Schools provides FREE resources to help schools manage their flora, fauna, soils and landscape design.
The aim is to protect plant and animal life, reduce energy and water consumption, while still managing and developing school grounds.
Educating and engaging young people in sustainability has never been more important. It empowers them to make decisions and act for a sustainable future. Sustainability is one of the three cross-curriculum priorities in the Australian Curriculum.
Actsmart Schools helps schools embed sustainability across the curriculum by providing FREE support and resources, including an easy-to-use best practice guide with step-by-step instructions.