Residents in detached houses use just over half the mains water used in the ACT, with 39% used in the garden, followed by 20% in the bathroom and 18% for toilet flushing.
There are many ways we can all play a part to ensure there is enough water for our current needs and for the future. You too can do your bit to reduce per person water consumption by 12 per cent by 2013, and 25 per cent by 2023 – Canberra’s targets for securing our future water supply.
Many of the ways you can save water at home can also be used at work and school. And there is an added bonus when you use less hot water – you’ll also save on your energy bills and reduce your greenhouse gas emissions.
- Saving water in the bathroom
- Saving water in the laundry
- Saving water in the kitchen
- Saving water in the garden
- Visit a water efficient house
- Water efficiency labelling and standards (WELS) scheme
- Safe use of greywater
- Using rainwater in the garden and inside your home
- Actsmart programs and assistance for your household
- Actsmart programs and assistance for your business
- Reducing energy and water costs in rental properties