Saving water in the garden
On average, about 39 per cent of household water is used in the garden and another 4 per cent for other outdoor uses.
In the Canberra region, water efficient gardens often have a number of key things in common:
- uncompacted, soil to a depth of 250 mm, with plenty of organic material;
- good protection from prevailing summer wind and sun;
- the right plants in the right locations, in particular hardy plants in exposed, sunny locations;
- mulch and areas of groundcover plants;
- efficient methods of watering, which take rainfall and the season into account in the watering schedule; and
- they use sources other than tap water for irrigation.