Saving water in the laundry
Around 13 per cent of household water use happens in the laundry, but with the right washing machine and the right methods it could be much less.
Water efficient washing machines
- Water efficient washing machines can save two thirds of the water that an older model uses. Aim for at least a 4-star water rating and 3.5-star energy rating when you buy your next machine.
- A 2-star washing machine for 6.5 kg of clothes uses 130 litres of water per wash while a four star model with will use around 60-71 litres of water per wash.
- You can use the Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards (WELS) Scheme website to find water efficient washing machines.
Water saving tips for the laundry
- Combine smaller wash loads into one and only wash when you have a full load.
- Adjust the water level to suit the size of your load and use the economy cycle, if your machine has one.