Share your story
Share your story
It’s smart thinking to have schools sign up to sustainability. It sets a good example, saves money and supports the environment.
Actsmart Schools is a FREE specialised program that helps schools support sustainability. The ACT can be proud. It is the only state or territory across Australia to have all schools registered in the program.
Actsmart Schools supports schools to save energy, conserve water, increase recycling, protect biodiversity, cut greenhouse gas emissions and integrate sustainability into the curriculum.
This free program provides a range of support, including best practice guides, audits, professional development advice, tools and resources. For more information email email@example.com or call Actsmart Schools Officers on 6207 6430 or 6207 6317.
Upcoming Professional Learning
Senior Schools Eco Tour (TQI Accredited)
School leaders and their teachers are invited to:
- tour senior schools implementing sustainability initiatives such as waste systems, food gardens and green events
- hear from student green teams and experienced sustainability coordinators
- discuss challenges and plan sustainability actions for the year ahead.
Delivering Sustainability Education Through The Curriculum (TQI Accredited)
- Cool Australia (Melbourne) will guide teachers to embed sustainability into teaching and learning programs.
- Learn about ready-made classroom lessons and hands-on activities.
- Receive inspirational teaching ideas and examples of best-practice from leading ACT schools.
- Free Resources and Services Catalogue (PDF, 3MB)
- Green Events 2018 (PDF, 818.7KB)
- Green Grants for Schools (PDF, 272KB)
New Case Studies
- Celebrating a Five-Star School - Maribyrnong Primary
- Sustainable school grounds and habitats for biodiversity - Farrer Primary
- Saving energy at school - Hawker Primary
- Reducing waste, separating recycling and organics - Evatt Primary
- Partnerships with community environmental organisations - Lake Tuggeranong College
- Undertaking a school bin waste audit - Daramalan College
ACT public schools are aiming to achieve the ACT Government target of carbon neutrality by 2020.
Actsmart Schools helps schools support the government with this target. The program provides FREE support, practical tips, tools and and resources to help all schools sustainably manage their energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Did you know that up to 86 per cent of the waste a school produces can be recycled or reused? That’s a big figure.
Actsmart Schools helps schools establish sustainable waste and recycling systems by providing support and FREE services and resources, including an easy-to-use best practice guide with step-by-step instructions.
Schools use a lot of water. Students drink it. Cleaners use it. Maintenance people need it for irrigation. It all adds up.
That’s why it’s important for schools to think about how they can act smart by saving water.
Actsmart Schools can help. It has FREE support, practical tips, tools and resources to help schools with sustainable water management.
Actsmart Schools provides FREE resources to help schools manage their flora, fauna, soils and landscape design.
The aim is to protect plant and animal life, reduce energy and water consumption, while still managing and developing school grounds.
Educating and engaging young people in sustainability has never been more important. It empowers them to make decisions and act for a sustainable future. Sustainability is one of the three cross-curriculum priorities in the Australian Curriculum.
Actsmart Schools helps schools embed sustainability across the curriculum by providing FREE support and resources, including an easy-to-use best practice guide with step-by-step instructions.